Anna Carpenter, LL.M, JD
Anna E. Carpenter is Associate Clinical Professor of Law and Director of the Lobeck Taylor Community Advocacy Clinic. Her scholarship includes empirical and theoretical work on access to justice and the role of lawyers, non-lawyers, and judges in the civil justice system. For her empirical research on access to justice, she was named a Bellow Scholar. Her papers have been selected for the Junior Scholars Public Law Workshop and the New Voices in Civil Justice Workshop. She also writes on clinical legal education. She is an appointed member of the Oklahoma Access to Justice Commission. Professor Carpenter previously held a Clinical Teaching Fellowship at Georgetown University Law Center in the Community Justice Project. She was also a Georgetown Women’s Law and Public Policy Fellow. Prior to her academic career, Professor Carpenter was a staff attorney at the San Diego Volunteer Lawyer Program and a federal policy advocate for Futures Without Violence. She earned a J.D. and an LL.M in Advocacy from Georgetown University Law Center. In the Community Advocacy Clinic, Professor Carpenter’s students engage in civil litigation and trial advocacy, as well as community development and systemic advocacy.
Empirical and theoretical work on access to justice and the role of lawyers, nonlawyers, and judges in the civil justice system. Clinical pedagogy and clinical theory.
Court Simplification Is Not So Simple, ____ Daedalus ____ (2019).
Active Judging and Access to Justice, 93 Notre Dame L. Rev. 647 (2018).
Studying the “New” Civil Judges, 2018 Wisconsin Law Review (2018).
Can a Little Representation Be a Dangerous Thing?, 67 Hastings L.J. 1367 (2016).
Lawyers, Power, and Strategic Expertise, 93 Denv. L. Rev. 469 (2016).
Trial and Error: Lawyers and Nonlawyer Advocates, 42 Law and Soc. Inquiry 1023 (2016) (peer-reviewed, with Colleen F. Shanahan and Alyx Mark).
The Project Model of Clinical Education: Eight Pedagogical Principles to Maximize Student Learning and Social Justice Impact, 20 Clinical L. Rev. 39 (2013).
Measuring Clinics, with Jeffrey Selbin, Colleen F. Shanahan, and Alyx Mark, 92 Tulane L. Rev. 547 (2017).
- Community Advocacy Clinic: Litigation
- Advanced Community Advocacy
- Boesche Legal Clinic: Advanced Community Advocacy
- Advanced Community Advocacy Clinic
- Community Advocacy Clinic
- Bar Association of the District of Columbia
- Clinical Legal Education Association
- State of California Bar Association
- State of Oklahoma Bar Association
- Association of American Law Schools, Committee on Lawyering in the Public Interest
- Oklahoma Access to Justice Commission
- Society of American Law Teachers
Awards & Honors
- Branstetter New Voices in Civil Justice Workshop
- Bellow Scholar
- Faculty Development Summer Research Grant